“That’ll be the day … “when the Fed hikes the rate … It could be in December !

   Schwaben Blog

November 20, 2015 

Weekly Statistics:

  Today Week Ago Year Ago
  20-Nov-15 13-Nov-15 20-Nov-14
       
S&P TSX 13,433 13,075 15,111
S&P 500 2,089 2,023 2,052
DJIA 17,824 17,245 17,719
OIL $39.39 $40.73  $75.86
USD vs CAD 0.7493 0.7507 0.8903
Gold $1,077 $1,083  $1,194

 

As more members of the Federal Reserve are starting to point towards a rate hike in December, market participants become more optimistic about the health of the US economy. In the past, investors did not respond well to the possibility of a rate hike due to higher business borrowing costs. Investors recently shifted their perspectives due to strong economic indicators. Investors are more confident that the US economy is strong enough to sustain an interest rate hike. Minutes from the October meeting of Federal Reserve officials supported the idea that rate hikes will be very gradual. This improved the sentiment of equity markets.  The Dow Jones, S&P and the TSX recorded gains of 3.4%, 3.3% and 2.8% respectively. S&P 500 recorded its best week in six weeks and the DJIA climbed back into the positive year-to-date territory. One of the major reasons why the Fed has not yet raised interest rates likely is lower inflation. However, recently St Louis Fed President James Bullard said that the rate of inflation will soon rise towards the Fed’s 2% annual target. This reduces concerns that stagnant inflation could dissuade policymakers from raising rates. Many members of the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) are in the favor of a rate hike at the December meeting. The image below is of the CME FedWatch Tool, which shows the probability of an interest rate hike of 74% probability at the December meeting, up from 70% the previous week. Further, should interest rates increase; there is a 73.6% probability of a 50 basis points hike and 26.4% probability of a 25 basis points hike.

Advertisements

The Effect of US Dollar on Equities

   Schwaben Blog

November 13, 2015

Weekly Statistics:

Today Week Ago Year Ago
13-Nov-15 06-Nov-15 13-Nov-14
S&P TSX 13,075 13,553 14,843
S&P 500 2,023 2,033 2,039
DJIA 17,245 17,910 17,652
OIL $40.73 $44.52  $75.01
USD vs CAD 0.7507 0.7537 0.8827
Gold $1,083 $1,088  $1,165

In the S&P 500, 444 companies have reported their earnings for Q3 2015 until last week. 74% of those companies have reported earnings above the mean estimate and 46% have reported sales above the mean estimate. The blended earnings decline for Q3 2015 is -2.2%, compared with earnings expectations of -5.2% on September 30, 2015. This will mark the first back to back quarters of earnings decline since 2009 if the index reports a decline in earnings for Q3. It will be almost certain that the overall earnings will be negative unless the remaining 56 companies report stellar results. The blended sales growth is -3.7%. Two main factors responsible for decline in earnings and sales across the index are strong  US dollar and a struggling Energy sector. The Energy sector was the largest contributor to the year-over-year declines in both earnings and revenues for the index. The blended earnings growth rate for the S&P 500 (ex-Energy) for Q3 is 4.5%. Hence Energy has contributed -6.7% to earnings this far. The other factor for decline in earnings and sales is strong USD. A recent analysis by Factset to quantify the effect of strong USD on S&P 500 companies found that companies that generate more than 50% of sales inside the US had a blended earnings growth rate of 4.8% but for companies that generated less than 50% of the sales inside the US, the blended earnings growth is -10.6%. The results were similar for the blended sales growth rate. This is a sign of the worsening effect that a strong USD has on the US conglomerates. After last week’s astounding payroll report, analysts and economists have become overly confident of a rate hike in December. According to CME FedWatch tool, there is a 70 % probability of a rate hike during FOMC meeting in December. Should interest rates increase, then there is a 69.8% probability of a 50 basis points hike and 30% probability of a 25 basis points hike.  The high likelihood of a rate hike led to  sharp decline across all major indices this past week. A rate hike in the US would lead to a stronger US$, the greater the rate hike the more the US$ would strengthen. The graph below compares the change in price of the S&P 500 with the change in Forward 12 month Earnings per share for the index.

Are we in for a rate hike in December?

   Schwaben Blog

November 06, 2015

Weekly Statistics:

Today Week Ago Year Ago
06-Nov-15 30-Oct-15 07-Nov-14
S&P TSX 13,553 13,525 14,690
S&P 500 2,033 2,079 2,031
DJIA 17,910 17,662 17,573
OIL $44.52 $46.59  $78.61
USD vs CAD 0.7537 0.7650 0.8827
Gold $1,088 $1,141  $1,146

With the release of October Payroll report the fear of an interest rate hike as soon as December is back on the table. After last week’s report that the US economy posted a disappointing growth of just 1.5 percent (annualized) in Q3 2015, investors discounted the probability of a rate hike anytime soon and started getting back into equities. But today’s jobs report left little doubt that the US economy is growing again. The gain of 271,000 in payrolls was the biggest this year and exceeded analysts’ expectations of a gain of 185,000. After almost eight years, the US economy now has more civilians working in full-time jobs than it had before the financial crisis of 2007/08. According to CME FedWatch tool, there is a 70 % probability of a rate hike during FOMC meeting in December. Also, if the interest rates are increased, then there is a 69.8% probability of a 50 basis points hike and 30% probability of a 25 basis points hike. Last week, the probability of just a rate hike was less than 30%. I still think that the likelihood of an increase in interest rates is around 30-40%.  Even though employment numbers have far exceeded the expectations, the average blended earnings growth for S&P 500 is -2.2%. If the index reports an earnings decline in Q3, it will be the first back-to-back quarters of earnings declines since 2009. According to Factset, 76% of companies are reporting EPS above estimates. This is above the 5 year average earning surprise for the index, while only 47% of the companies are reporting sales above estimates. With interest rates at record lows, companies are buying back their shares at a record pace and this raises EPS. The share buyback increases EPS however it may not be a sign of significantly increased earnings. Although employment gains last month were a lot stronger than expected it may not necessarily point to an excessively growing US economy.

Source- Bloomberg, Globe Investor Gold, Financial Post, Market Watch, Trading Economics