Are we in for a rate hike in December?

   Schwaben Blog

November 06, 2015

Weekly Statistics:

Today Week Ago Year Ago
06-Nov-15 30-Oct-15 07-Nov-14
S&P TSX 13,553 13,525 14,690
S&P 500 2,033 2,079 2,031
DJIA 17,910 17,662 17,573
OIL $44.52 $46.59  $78.61
USD vs CAD 0.7537 0.7650 0.8827
Gold $1,088 $1,141  $1,146

With the release of October Payroll report the fear of an interest rate hike as soon as December is back on the table. After last week’s report that the US economy posted a disappointing growth of just 1.5 percent (annualized) in Q3 2015, investors discounted the probability of a rate hike anytime soon and started getting back into equities. But today’s jobs report left little doubt that the US economy is growing again. The gain of 271,000 in payrolls was the biggest this year and exceeded analysts’ expectations of a gain of 185,000. After almost eight years, the US economy now has more civilians working in full-time jobs than it had before the financial crisis of 2007/08. According to CME FedWatch tool, there is a 70 % probability of a rate hike during FOMC meeting in December. Also, if the interest rates are increased, then there is a 69.8% probability of a 50 basis points hike and 30% probability of a 25 basis points hike. Last week, the probability of just a rate hike was less than 30%. I still think that the likelihood of an increase in interest rates is around 30-40%.  Even though employment numbers have far exceeded the expectations, the average blended earnings growth for S&P 500 is -2.2%. If the index reports an earnings decline in Q3, it will be the first back-to-back quarters of earnings declines since 2009. According to Factset, 76% of companies are reporting EPS above estimates. This is above the 5 year average earning surprise for the index, while only 47% of the companies are reporting sales above estimates. With interest rates at record lows, companies are buying back their shares at a record pace and this raises EPS. The share buyback increases EPS however it may not be a sign of significantly increased earnings. Although employment gains last month were a lot stronger than expected it may not necessarily point to an excessively growing US economy.

Source- Bloomberg, Globe Investor Gold, Financial Post, Market Watch, Trading Economics

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s